Subject: Re: Documents with mixed languages

From: "Stephane Bortzmeyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 11:44:20 +0100

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 01:06:25PM -0500,
 Michael Lazar <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 75 lines which said:

> Your best bet, if you're serious about this, is to go ahead and
> implement your proposal in your client. If others find it useful
> they will start using it too

I'm not sure it is something to recommend since it can leads to "de
facto" standards and to "best viewed with client XYZ > 7" which were
one of the reasons we ran away from the Web.

> This doesn't allow for mixed languages inside of a single
> line/paragraph though.

Unicode has a solution, but its use is discouraged
<http://unicode.org/faq/languagetagging.html>. "Most other users who
need to tag text with the language identity should be using standard
markup mechanisms, such as those provided by HTML, XML, or other rich
text mechanisms."

Gemtext cannot do everything (and I tend to regard this as a feature,
not a bug).